KUALA LUMPUR, April 5 – Acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said investigation on the crew members of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 was still ongoing and nobody has been cleared. “I don’t think anybody has been cleared from any investigation. As far as the manifest list, it include the crew as well. “The four possibilities that the IGP (Inspector General of Police) reminded us, which is investigation on terrorism, hijacking, psychological or personal problems, is still ongoing,” he said in response to a question relating to the investigation on MH370 crew members.
Hishammuddin was speaking to the media at the briefing on the search for MH370 here, Saturday. IGP Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar on Wednesday said the police have “cleared’ all the passengers of MH370 of hijacking, sabotage and psychological and personal problems, but are still investigating the cabin crew including the pilot and the co-pilot. Hishammuddin who is also Defence Minister, said he had no problem in getting the military information and radar data from Asean countries especially those involved in the search operation which now entered day 29.
“For countries outside Asean, unless I get their permisson you will appreciate that these are sensitive information, you might ask them directly. “As far as Asean is concerned, from my own experience, no country had been a hindrance to our request for further information on the search for MH370, whether from satellite or radar, whether military or civil,” he added. The aircraft, carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew members, left the Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 12.41am on March 8 and disappeared from radar screens about an hour later while over the South China Sea. It was scheduled to land in Beijing at 6.30am the same day. A multinational search was mounted for the aircraft, first in the South China Sea and then, after it was learned that the plane had veered off course, along two corridors – the northern corridor stretching from the border of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan to northern Thailand and the southern corridor, from Indonesia to the southern Indian Ocean.
An unprecedented type of analysis of satellite data, United Kingdom satellite telecommunications company Inmarsat and the UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) concluded that Flight MH370 flew along the southern corridor and that its last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth. Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced on March 24, seventeen days after the disappearance of the Boeing 777-200 aircraft, that Flight MH370 “ended in the southern Indian Ocean.” The audio conversation between MH370 pilots and the air traffic control could not be released as it was still under investigation. Hishammuddin also said the search for the aircraft would continue “beyond dollars and cents.” Asked about chances that all the MH370 passengers and crew were safe, he said that it was what their families were hoping for.
“It may be remote but it is what they believe in. ang). Even though if it is a miracle, it is hoping against hope. If that is the wish of the family, I think it is proper if we can respect their wishes.” Meanwhile, asked whether Malaysia was ready to apologise for the MH370 tragedy, he said that was not part of the solution. Hishammuddin said finding the aircraft and its blackbox to reveal what actually happened remained a massive and challenging task and was thankful that many people could look at the incident in a positive way. “That is something we can draw strength from because if this goes on any longer, we need every bit of strength that we can to get to the truth of what actually happen to MH370,” he added.