KEMAMAN, April 14 – Communication and Multimedia Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek concurs with Acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein that the co-pilot of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 did not make a phone call from the cockpit of the aircraft on March 8. He said he had tried to get information on this and that the parties concerned had confirmed that no such call was made. “I appeal to all quarters to be more responsible in issuing statements because an irresponsible statement can confuse the people. “It can also complicate the search process which should be given priority,” he told reporters after attending a community programme in Kampung Gong Cengal, Kemasik near here, today. Yesterday, Bernama had reported Hishammuddin denying a local newspaper report on the matter.
Hishammuddin denied the report which claimed that the co-pilot made a telephone call when the aircraft was flying low over Penang. He said he would have known about it if the allegation was true. Meanwhile, in another development, Ahmad said his ministry was holding discussions on several matters with the Education Ministry, including on a programme to distribute 1Malaysia notebooks. He said the distribution, prior to this, had been made to pupils from families earning below RM3,000 a month. “The programme is in the planning stage and it is hoped that we will get a positive feedback so that it will become part of presents for Teachers’ Day this year,” he said. Ahmad Shabery said the ministry would discuss first, probably involving teachers of certain grades, and if possible, his ministry wanted to ensure as many as possible could be distributed to teachers. He said this matter would be announced jointly with the Education Ministry.