BUKIT MERTAJAM, April 15 – The police have detained 12 men, including two foreigners, in connection with last Friday’s armed robbery involving 20 tonnes of copper cables worth about RM400,000. The copper cables were stolen about 8pm, from the Perai Industrial Zone. Nine of the suspects, together with the Bangladeshi and Myanmar, were picked up from a scrap iron company in Bukit Mertajam, a day after the theft. The suspects led to the seizure of the copper cables from the same truck which they had earlier hijacked, together with the loot which was originally scheduled for Permatang Tinggi. Three others were nabbed in Seberang Jaya and Batu Maung. Another man, suspected to be the mastermind, is on the run.
Penang police deputy chief, Datuk A. Thaiveegan told a press conference Monday, that the cable-laden truck was passing through the industrial zone last Friday, when three men armed with machetes intercepted the vehicle. He said the trio tied up the truck drivers’ hands and legs and forced him into a car. One of the robbers then drove away the truck in the 11.20am incident. Thaiveegan said the truck driver was abandoned at an oil palm plantation in Machang Bubuk, about 48km from Bukit Mertajam. The driver freed himself and lodged a report at the Machang Bubuk police station. Meanwhile, Thaiveegan said the police had sought P. Viknesvaran, 28, to shed light on the cable theft. His last known address was at Block Prai Jaya. Those with information on his whereabouts is requested to contact the police to facilitate investigations.