Cops To Hand Findings On UPSR Leak To A-G’s Chambers Next Week, Says Police Chief

160

Categories:

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 24 – Police are expected to wrap up their probe into the leaked UPSR Science and English examination papers and hand the case over to the Attorney-General’s Chambers next week for prosecution. City police chief Datuk Tajudin Md Isa told The Malaysian Insider that they were tying up loose ends of the probe into the papers which were leaked online. “The investigation papers are expected to be handed over to the Attorney-General’s Chambers by next week at the latest,” Tajudin told The Malaysian Insider today. The leaks have affected more than 470,000 Year Six primary school students, and more than a million parents, provoking nationwide outrage.

Students will now re-sit the English and Science UPSR papers on September 30. On Monday, the Education Ministry announced that pupils would also have to retake the Mathematics and Tamil language papers on October 9. Both papers were also found to have been leaked on September 21, said director-general of Education Datuk Dr Khair Mohamad Yusof. Since the leak of the English and Science papers were revealed on September 10, police have arrested a total of 14 people to assist in investigations, including 12 teachers. The arrests were made in various states around Malaysia, including Penang, Perak, Kedah, Kuala Lumpur and Terengganu.

Of the 12 arrested, including an engineer and an insurance agent, six were remanded while the remaining six were released on police bail. Those who had been remanded were later released on police bail once their remand order expired. During the course of their probe under Section 8 of the Official Secrets Act 1972, police recorded more than 30 statements. Those who have given statements included eight officers from Malaysian Examinations Syndicate, 19 teachers, an officer from the Education Ministry, an engineer and a journalist.

Following the leaks of the English and Science papers, Deputy Prime Minister and Education Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin and Education Minister II Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh both issued public apologies. On September 12, Muhyiddin announced the suspension of Examinations Syndicate director Dr Na’imah Ishak and deputy director (operations) Dr Wan Ilias Wan Salleh with immediate effect. However, this has been refuted by the ministry’s secretary-general Tan Sri Dr Madinah Mohamad who said that they were not suspended but re-assigned to other duties unrelated to the Examinations Syndicate to enable an independent committee to carry out its investigations.

Leave Comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.