Kampung Pokok Asam Residents Against Developers’ Action

167

Categories:

GEORGE TOWN, Sept 30 – A group of Kampung Pokok Asam residents today prevented a developer from demolishing part of a house structure on Lot 215A, claiming the developer did not follow the set procedure. East Jelutong Residents Action Association deputy chairman, Kamariah Ahamed said the developer, Nova Mulia, was prevented from demolishing the structure after it failed to produce a clear notice and came without the presence officers from the District and Land Office.

“The developer should not have come to demolish part of the house on Lot 215A as it had not referred to the District and Land Office to do so,” she told reporters, here, today. Kamariah said the Kampung Pokok Asam issue had been put on hold as Penang Deputy Chief Minister I Datuk Mohd Rashid Hasnon agreed to discuss it with the residents. “There has been no solution and perhaps there will be a dialogue session between the residents and Datuk Rashid after he returns from Makkah,” she added.

Kamariah said the last notice received by the residents to vacate their homes was in July this year but the residents did not do so as the agreement on compensation had not been readied by the state government. The village, which is over 100 years old and more than a hectare in size, was said to be taken over by a developer from Kuala Lumpur for a housing and cemetery project. However, the project has been stalled due to the residents’ refusal to move out of the village.

Leave Comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.