KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 9 – Police believe the bombing incident at Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur early Thursday morning is the work of more than one person. City CID chief, Senior Asst Comm Gan Kong Meng also confirmed certain individuals had been targeted in the incident. One of the victims involved in the bombing incident at Bukit Bintang has reportedly succumbed to his injuries at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL). The hospital’s emergency and trauma department head Datuk Dr Abu Hassan Asaari Abdullah said, the complete list of victims sent to HKL have yet to be confirmed due to various information that has yet to be obtained. “A victim who was in critical condition has passed away, we are still in the midst of obtaining more information on the victims here.
“We will provide the updated information as soon as we obtain confirmation,” he said when contacted here today. On Thursday 13 people were reportedly injured, with one in critical condition, in a bombing incident that occurred at a building in Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur. Several cars at the scene of the incident also suffered damages from the bomb blast. At the time of the incident, four vehicles, a Toyota Alphard, Mazda, BMW and Toyota Camry were in the vicinity. CID deputy chief ACP Khairi Ahrasa said in the 4.20am incident, two hand grenades were thrown from the second floor parking bay of a building. “The suspect is believed to have thrown the bomb from the second floor of the building.
One of the bombs exploded in front of an entertainment outlet. Another one did not explode and was found under a Toyota Camry car, which was parked in front of the entertainment outlet,” he told reporters here today. All the victims, aged between 20 to 42, were sent to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital, Ampang Hospital and Gleneagles Intan Medical Centre for treatment. Two of the victims are from China, one each from Singapore and Thailand while the rest are locals. Earlier, seven victims – six men and 1 woman – had been sent to the Tun Shin private hospital before they were transferred to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital. One victim, a car jockey who was in critical condition, had been treated at the ICU unit of the hospital.
Police are still investigating the motive behind the incident. The case is being investigated under Section 4 of the Firearms Act and 307 of the Penal Code. Meanwhile Home Minister Datuk Seri Zahid Hamidi has urged the public to remain calm until police complete their investigations into the incident. Business rivalry is being looked at as one of the motives for the bombing incident. Deputy Home Minister Datuk Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said, the incident may also be as a result of a fight between the entertainment outlets in the area. However no confirmation can be provided at the moment at the case is still under police investigation.
“Because it has just been a few hours since the incident happened, we have yet to receive any information on the motive and the people behind the incident, whether they are locals or foreigners. “Not all information can be disclosed at the moment until it is verified and confirmed after investigations are complete,” he told reporters at the Parliament building today. Wan Junaidi however assured the police will apprehend the culprits and take necessary action. He also expressed his sympathies to those injured in the incident.