KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 12 – Heavy rain this evening wreaked havoc in several parts of the city, with over 12 trees falling in different areas, causing massive traffic jams as well as train delays. In one incident, a tree was believed to have fallen over a police booth in Kampung Attap here, trapping two policemen who were in it.

Fire and Rescue Department officers from two stations, Sungai Besi and Hang Tuah, were deployed to rescue the two policemen believed to have been trapped there since 7pm. Harian Metro, on Twitter, said one officer is believed to have died on the way to hospital while the other died at the scene of the incident. However, no official statement has been released as yet.

Meanwhile, several trees are believed to have been uprooted around the city centre, with an unconfirmed report citing the following roads: Jalan Cenderamulia, Jalan Stadium, Jalan Raja Laut, Jalan Loke Yew, Persiaran Tun Ismail, Jalan Dewan Bahasa, Jalan Kinabalu, Jalan Maharajalela into Jalan Hang Tuah, the entrance to Bukit Aman, Bulatan KTM (near Majestic Hotel),   Jalan San Peng, Jalan Kamuning, Off Jalan Imbi.

A check on mobile traffic application Waze also noted several reports of trees falling, causing massive traffic in KL. This had led to many Twitter users flooding up the site with pictures of the fallen trees, and reports of LRT train service delays, said to be caused also by a tree which had fallen on its Plaza Rakyat-Hang Tuah tracks. Rapid KL confirmed the incident on its official Twitter site, and the service was restored fully by 6.30pm.

One user, under Twitter handle @Vel_Amir, tweeted that a tree had fallen in front of the tunnel in Jalan Tun Razak, while another user, Sam Sim, advised his followers to avoid entering into the city as water level was on the rise. @kheydass tweeted : “Bukit aman. Hujan lebat. Hujan batu. Kami dikepung. Semua jalan tutup. Pokok tumbang. Aduwh.” (Bukit aman. Heavy rain. Hails. We are trapped. All roads closed. Fallen tree.)

KL Traffic updates under @kltrafficupdate also warned the public of the massive jam in Jalan Bukit Langat as the four-lane road have now become a single lane. Meanwhile, there have been reports of a stage in Stadium Merdeka collapsing after hours of heavy rain in the city.

Pictures of the partially damaged stage at the stadium, where the final night of KL International Tattoo 2014 was supposed to take place, have gone viral on Twitter with many claiming that the event was cancelled due to the damage. Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin had also tweeted on the cancellation of the event earlier in the evening. However, no confirmation has been provided as at time of publication.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.