KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 21 – The media should wait for a full report from the Dutch-led team investigating the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 tragedy, instead of using unfounded speculation from “so-called sources”, said Ukrainian Ambassador to Malaysia, Ihor Humennyi. This is to avoid confusing the people and disrupt investigations due to the sensitivity and serious nature of the incident.
“The investigations are so far, confidential. Even though journalists are eager to release stories, in the case of Flight MH17, it is necessary to wait. “The Malaysian Government has been updated on the investigation but the content, as it is still ongoing, cannot be released,” he told Bernama here today. Asked if Malaysia should have a role in the joint investigation team, Humennyi said he personally believed the country should be part of the team.
Apart from the Netherlands, the joint investigation team comprises Belgium, Ukraine and Australia. Malaysia’s Inspector-General of Police (IGP) and the Attorney-General (A-G) will head for the Netherlands on Dec 3 to discuss among others, Malaysia’s role in the team. Humennyi said he was happy to see positive update on the investigation front which he believed would take a long process.
He said there was a need to expedite retrieval of Flight MH17’s wreckage and human remains from the crashed site in Hrabove as the expected change in weather next month might paralyse the process of evidence gathering. “It is very good that the Dutch-led investigation team managed to have an agreement with separatist forces to be allowed entry into the site. “But once snow starts, even the ground will be frozen and it will be difficult to retrieve anything,” he said.
According to the Government of Netherlands website, more wreckage from Flight MH17 was salvaged and human remains were also found on Nov 17, but the security situation remains fragile in the area. Flight MH17, with 298 passengers and crew on board was enroute to Kuala Lumpur from Amsterdam when it was shot down over eastern Ukraine on July 17. A total of 44 Malaysians were on board the Boeing 777-200ER aircraft.