KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 26 – A new drift modelling is in progress as to widen the search area which wreckage from the missing MH370 may possibly come ashore, according to Australia’s search coordinator, Peter Foley.
An updated drift model seeking for a much wider search area is in progress after initial analysis suggested that the first debris from the plane could come ashore on Indonesia’s Western Sumatra after about 123 days. Foley also said that although the research centre receives reports at least once a week of debris come ashore the Australian coastline; however, none has been identified as coming from the missing airliner.
Meanwhile, Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) denied suggestions that there was disagreement on where to search, between the five groups that make up the international team – America’s Boeing Co, France’s Thales, US investigator the National Transportation Safety Board and the Australian Defence Science and Technology Organisation.
Last month, a new report resurfaced, specifying two high-priority areas farther to the south, after the teams has initially agreed upon the likelihood of an area about 600km long by 90km wide west of Perth. However, according to ATSB, all five groups agree that MH370’s final resting place is near the “7th arc” – a curve that stretches from about 1,000km off Exmouth, Western Australia, to a point about 2,000km southwest of Perth,
To date, more than 6,900-sq km of sea floor has been searched. Recently, Emirate President and CEO of Emirates, Sir Timothy Charles Clark boldly said in an interview with aviation journalist Andreas Spaeth and published on the Sydney Morning Herald that the disappearance will go down in history and emerge as one of the greatest aviation mysteries. The Beijing-bound aircraft mysteriously vanished over the Indian Ocean on March 8 with 239 passengers on board.