KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 25 – The flood situation in Kelantan, Terengganu and Perak worsened tonight with 69,549 victims housed at the relief centres, compared to 68,117 reported this evening. In KELANTAN, the number of flood victims in nine districts increased slightly to 34,955 from 34,491. According to the state government’s flood portal, the districts involved were Gua Musang, Jeli, Kota Baharu, Kuala Krai, Machang, Pasir Mas, Pasir Puteh, Tanah Merah and Tumpat.
Water level readings in several rivers continued to increase with the Kelantan River at Tangga Krai at 34.11m (25m danger level), Guillemard Bridge at 22.63m (16m danger level), and Royal Jetty at 6.88m (5m danger level). The water level in the Golok River at Rantau Panjang was at 10.41m (9m danger level).
In TERENGGANU, the number of victims rose again to 29,082 (7,172 families) tonight, from 28,541 this evening. According to the Terengganu National Security Council (MKN) portal, Kemaman was still the hardest hit district with 19,311 victims, followed by Dungun with 7,478.
Meanwhile, the number of victims in the other districts were: Kuala Terengganu (1,600), Besut (383) and Hulu Terengganu (310). There were 109 relief centres still operating, with three in Besut, 37 in Dungun, seven in Hulu Terengganu, 51 in Kemaman and 12 in Kuala Terengganu, while the relief centre in Marang was closed today.
In PERAK, the number of flood victims housed at the relief centres in Hulu Perak, Kuala Kangsar and Central Perak rose to 5,512 (1,382 families). According to a Perak MKN spokesman, all the victims were housed at 47 flood relief centres. The number of victims in Kuala Kangsar and Sungai Siput slightly increased to 2,842 (677 families) from 2,818 this evening.
However, four relief centres in Kuala Kangsar have been closed today. The number of flood victims in Central Perak also increased due to rising flood waters and rain. As of tonight, 2,056 victims from 551 families have been evacuated to 14 relief centres in the district.
In KEDAH, the number of evacuees also rose with 76 from 14 families in Padang Terap at the relief centres as at 7.30pm, from 60 this evening. Kedah MKN assistant secretary (military), Major Mohd Radzi Abd Hamid said the affected areas were Kampung Chepa, Kampung Lubuk Merbau, Kampung Baru Lubuk Merbau and Kampung Dusun.
“So far, ony two relief centres have been opened, namely at the Kampung Chepa community hall for victims from Kampung Chepa, and Dewan Petunas Lubuk Merbau, housing victims from three more villages,” he said when contacted.
In PERLIS, the flood waters have begun to subside with the total number of victims remaining at the relief centres reduced to 256 as at 8pm from 279 as at 4pm. The Perlis Social Welfare Department’s disaster operations room reported that a relief centre housing six victims from one family had been closed late afternoon.
With the closure of the relief centre at Taman Seri Pilihan in Sena, there are now only four centres still operating, namely at the Mara Junior Science College (MRSM), Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Abi, Padang Malau community hall and Beseri Dalam hall.