KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 2 – Thirty of the Airbus A320-200 aircraft’s 162 passengers and cabin crew were recovered from the Java Sea where the plane was believed to have crashed due to weather issues. Indonesian search and rescue agency Basarnas chief Bambang Soelistyo was quoted by Detik.com as saying that eight bodies have been safely transported to Surabaya.

Speaking at a press conference in central Jakarta this evening, Bambang Soelistyo was quoted by Detik.com as saying that 10 were in the process of being flown to Surabaya, four were still at Pangkalan Bun, seven aboard the vessel KRI Bung Tomo and one aboard Malaysia’s navy vessel KD Pahang.

However, only four have been identified by the East Java police’s Disaster Victims Identification (DVI) unit. They are passengers Kevin Alexander Soetjipto, Hayati Lutfiah Hamid, and Greyson Hebbert Linaksita, and AirAsia flight attendant Khairunnisa Haidar Fauzi.

AirAsia Group CEO Tan Sri Tony Fernandes today kept his promise to travel to Palembang with Khairunnisa’s family after the identification process was completed. “I’m arriving in Surabaya to take Nisa home to Palembang. I cannot describe how I feel. There are no words,” Tony tweeted today.

Khairunnisa was one of the two female flight attendants on board the plane. The 22-year-old law graduate’s body was identified by her uniform and name tag. One of the last photo on her Instagram account was of a napkin with a simple love note she wrote for her boyfriend known only as Divo.

The note said, “I love you from 38,000 ft.” She will be laid to rest in her hometown of Palembang on the Indonesian Island of Sumatra. Yesterday, the first body to be identified belonged to passenger Hayati Lutfiah. She was laid to rest late yesterday afternoon, witnessed by her family and friends all gathered at a cemetery in Surabaya.

Detik.com reported that Hayati had boarded the ill-fated flight with her husband Djoko Suseno and child Naura Kanita Rosada Her tombstone was marked with only her name and the date the plane went missing — Dec 28, 2014. Another passenger identified, Kevin, was a 22-year-old finance student, due to graduate from Monash University in Melbourne next year.

He was on the ill-stricken flight that with his sister and another relative. Found on the university’s official website were words of condolences by its faculty for Kevin, a young man described as “quiet, exceptionally polite and well-liked by his classmates”.

“He was a good student, very conscientious and one of those students who while he may not have spoken too often in group discussions, was nonetheless on top of everything that was under discussion. “His loss will be deeply felt by all students and staff involved with his units of study at Monash and we would like to share our condolences to his family and friends.”

Nation News

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.