KUALA TERENGGANU, Jan 10 – No further postponement of dates for the 41 flood affected schools said Education Minister II Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh. The affected schools scheduled to open on Jan 18 and Jan 19 even though some schools are still being used as relief centres while some needs cleaning up.
The postponement was decided after taking account that some of the schools were still being used by evacuees said Idris after visiting Pantai Tok Jembal near the Universiti Malaysia Terengganu which suffered from soil erosion along its 3.2 km stretch. “The Federal Government had approved an allocation of RM 70.5 million to build four break waters and a terminal or jetty for the university,” he said after visiting the affected beach area near UMT’s campus in Gong Badak today.
Also present were UMT’s Vice Cancellor Datuk Dr Ibrahim Komo and State Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID) director Ir. C. Poobalan. Idris said for the last several years, UMT had suffered several cases of soil erosions and from a flash flood at the campus area last year.
“We understood that the total loss of damages during the erosion and floods is about RM20 million,” he said adding that the breakwater project will prevent future incidents. Idris added the project is under the Drainage and Irrigation Department’s (DID) supervision was awarded to a contractor that started the work in April 2014, but however, it was stopped in October following bad weather before flood hit the state.
“We believed that the work is going to be started on March this year and scheduled to be ended at the end of 2016,” he added. Meanwhile, UMT’s Vice Chancellor Datuk Dr Ibrahim Komo said among the demolished items were a research centre near the beach, a hatchery centre and several important items for research purpose.