KUALA KANGSAR, Jan 12 – The amount of waste collected from flood-hit states has reached 200,000 tonnes so far, Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Abdul Rahman Dahlan said.
He said the amount was expected to reach between 300,000 and 400,000 tonnes throughout the post-flood cleaning operation as there were some areas still inundated by flood waters and would take some time to recover.
“This is a challenge for the ministry and local authorities because it involves landfills and some of these landfills were also inundated by waters and damaged,” he told reporters after participating in post-flood cleaning operation here Monday. He said to accommodate the rising amount of waste, three temporary landfills had been opened in Temerloh, Pahang.
“Local authorities in the flood-hit states are also allowed to open temporary landfills if necessary,” he said. On the cost of repair for public properties and infrastructure, as well as for cleaning local authorities’ areas, Abdul Rahman said it could reach up to RM200 million.
However, he said priority would be given to the work to repair damaged infrastructure in Kuala Kangsar, including jetties and riverbank areas, as the enthronement of the Sultan of Perak Sultan Nazrin Shah was scheduled to take place soon.
He said the ministry had also instructed waste disposal concessionaires to increase their assets to ensure that the cleaning operation in flood-hit areas in the states that adopted the Solid Waste management and Public Cleaning Act 2007 (Act 672) could be carried out as soon as possible.
“We will work closely with the concessionaires because they may have the state-of-the-art cleaning equipment and tools, which could not be obtained by the local authorities in the states that did not adopt the Act,” he said.