IPOH, Jan 19 – All 19 schools in Perak which had to postpone starting the 2015 school session for one week due to floods began classes Monday. State Education, Science, Environment and Green Technology Committee chairman Datuk Dr Muhammad Amin Zakaria said a meeting held on Jan 14, involving all heads and principals of the schools affected by the floods or used as evacuation centres, decided that all schools would begin operations today.
“The heads of the State Education Department and District Education Offices have made preparations for the schools to begin operations today,” he told Bernama. Education director-general Datuk Seri Dr Khair Mohamad Yusof had earlier announced that the 2015 school session for 41 schools, including 19 in Perak which were still affected by floods, would be postponed for another week.
The postponement was for five schooling days which are from Jan 11 to 15 for Kelantan and Jan 12 to 16 for Perak and Pahang. All schools in Perak Tengah and Manjung which began their sessions today were Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Bandar; SK Bandar Tua; SK Pulau Tiga Kiri; SK Tok Pelita; SK Lambor Kanan; SK Tanjung Bidara; SK Pasir Panjang Hulu; SK Pulau Juar; SK Selat Pulau; SK Changkat Banjar; SK Pasir Kubu; SK Teluk Kepayang.
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Sultan Muzaffar Shah 1; SMK Sungai Ranggam; SMK Dato Maharajalela; SABK Ehyak Diniah; SMK Lambor Kiri; SK Kayan; and SJK (T) Kayan also started today. He said the flood situation in several locations had improved although the route to SK Pulau Juar near Kampung Gajah here was still under water. “The schools, the Perak Tengah District Education Office and the parent-teacher associations have given the commitment to provide transport for pupils going to school through the inundated areas,” he said.