GEORGE TOWN, Jan 20 – The Penang Island Municipal Council (MPPP) today seized the tables and chairs on the premises of Line Clear nasi kandar food outlet for allegedly operating a business without licence since 2015. The operator of the famed nasi kandar outlet, Abdul Hamid Seeni Pakir, 65, claimed that a team of enforcers arrived at the 24-hour Restoran Line Clear at 3.30am and carted away about 30 chairs and tables from the five-foot way outlet.
“There were about 20 customers at the shop then and the workers could only look as the enforcers took away those items on to their lorry,” he told reporters at his shop in Penang Road here. He admitted that he had been operating without a licence since taking over the business premises when his turn came in 2008, but claimed that he did not get any notice or explanation from the MPPP on the matter.
Abdul Hamid said he and the other next-of-kin of the food outlet which was founded by his father in the 50s, practised a rotation system, with each taking over the operations for a year. He also claimed that the other relatives had betrayed him when his name was dropped from the premises’ ownership registration in 2000.
Abdul Hamid said he had applied for a licence in 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 but was not approved by MPPP. Meanwhile, the public relations division of MPPP’s corporate department said the action taken was in line with the Hawkers By-Law 1979. “The enforcement was carried out because the operator of the outlet had conducted his business without a licence since 2015,” the department said in a statement here.
According to the statement, following a decision made by the MPPP on Oct 8 last year, a licence had been issued to the new operator. In a press conference held on June 2 last year, MPPP Director of Licensing, Azman Sirun said according to records, a licence was issued to Sahubarali China Mohd Hanibah, Abdul Latif Thulkarunai and Pathumah Iskandar to conduct a business at the premises.