CYBERJAYA, April 29 – The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has requested YouTube and Facebook to remove the video insulting the Muslim ‘call to prayer’ or azan which was posted by Alvin Tan on April 21. MCMC in a statement Wednesday, however, said that based on monitoring, the video had been re-uploaded several times on YouTube.

YouTube yesterday had blocked the video for Malaysian viewers, it said. “We are still communicating with Facebook to remove the video,” said MCMC. The nearly three-minute video insulting Islam entitled ‘Muslim Call to Prayer-Azan (R&B Cover)’ which was posted on Tan’s facebook had incurred anger among Muslims.

MCMC reminded the public to not share the video on any social media or chat apps as this might be in breach of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 “MCMC is currently monitoring the spread of the video,” it said. It also reminded the public to not be easily affected by such immoral behaviour which might jeopardise peace and harmony in the country.

Tan had reportedly taken refugee in the US in order to obtain political asylum in an attempt to evade from being charged for his offences committed in Malaysia. Tan’s offences included uploading contents that insulted Islam and the Malay rulers on his Facebook account. The offences are punishable under the Sedition Act upon conviction.

Nation News

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.