GEORGE TOWN, Dec 29 – About 300 Kampung Mutiara villagers, Batu Ferringhi, here, gathered as a last resort to save their homes and villages rather than demolished. It is understood that a group of people began gathering from early morning to prevent the demolition as a setup to prevents the bulldozers went into the village.
In the meantime, the entrance to Kampung Mutiara had been blocked by vehicles in the early morning 8am, while the vehicles are including the buses and cars as well as concrete. In addition, there were also about 300 Kampung Mutiara villagers were gathered in the same way.
In fact, the police were monitoring the situation since 6am to avoid any possibility. Also present were Umno secretary of Penang, Datuk Musa Sheikh Fadzir and Member of the Legislative Assembly Heat Gulf Datuk Shah Headan Ayoob Shah Hussain Shah who was with the population since 7am.
Action had to be taken notice of the population after their expulsion from the village landlord obtained from the court ended last August. However, people living in the village for more than 50 years ago had refused to move out after do not getting any proper defense and no direction.
“Meanwhile, there were about 69 families from 42 families would be affected if the demolition took place which all the families did not sleep all night because of concerns over their expulsion from the area,” said Batu Ferringhi JKKP chairman Ismadi Abu Bakar.
“We were tipped off by the police last night at around 8.30pm and (Bukit Bendera MP) Zairil (Khir Johari) and Cheu (Tanjung Bungah assemblyman Teh Yee Cheu) came around 10pm. We have advised by the police not to make things could worsen the situation,” he said.