JOHOR BAHARU, Feb 5 – The Indonesian government has assured the haze problem experienced in Malaysia this year will not be as bad as last year following several measures carried out. Natural Resources and Environment Minister, Datuk Seri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said Indonesia gave the assurance in a meeting with his counterpart in Jakarta recently.
According to him, in the meeting he was told Indonesia had carried out various measures to curb the problem including the seizure of plantation lands from 20 errant concession companies. He said the country had also reportedly agreed to purchase three Bombardier aircraft to fight plantation fires more effectively.
“So, I hope the measures will be able to resolve the issue and at the same time, we will also follow up on the decision to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to overcome the problem comprehensively,” he said in a media conference after a meeting with Johor Menteri Besar, Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin, here Thursday.
Meanwhile, Wan Junaidi also said that the Johor development project involving sea reclamation near the border of Singapore had so far not affected the republic. In fact Singapore, he said did not protest or obstruct any development being carried out in Johor.
“Singapore can accept any development taking place in Johor and I have not found any harmful effects to the environment from the reclamation in both Singapore and Malaysia. But close monitoring will be conducted to ensure the developers comply with the related regulations,” he said.