GEORGE TOWN, Feb 11 – Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng has denied a report by The Star newspaper that an ambulance was caught in traffic congestion during the two-day Penang Hot Air Balloon Fiesta which had ended on yesterday. He said the report was untrue due to they did not receive any information or no complaints on the matter during the fiesta held at Padang Polo here.
He said it was a very successful fiesta, just like last year. Meanwhile, he also expressed his appreciation to the police and the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) for ensuring smooth traffic flow during the two-day fiesta. In the meantime, Timur Laut District Police Headquarters Traffic Enforcement Officer, Inspector Mohd Izarrie Shafie also denied the report and said no untoward incidents occurred during the fiesta.
“We the police had two shifts to monitor the traffic for 24 hours and each shift had four traffic officers on duty, I also stressed to the traffic officers that besides controlling the traffic flow, we had to give priority to ambulances transporting patients in need of immediate treatment. There was no such report of any ambulance was held up by traffic,” he said.
MBPP Enforcement Director Feroze Md Noor said 117 vehicles were towed away for disrupting traffic during the two-day fiesta. He said during the first day, the MBPP Enforcement Department towed away 30 cars and 40 motorcycles while on the second day (Feb 10), we towed away 32 cars and 15 motorcycles. He said it helped to ease the traffic flow. He added that the Enforcement Department was deployed 40 officers and also assisted by 60 Rela members to work to ensure the traffic was smooth.