KUALA LUMPUR, March 29 – Another piece of debris, believed to be part of the vanished Malaysia Airlines (MAS) MH370 aircraft was found in South Africa yesterday, said Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai. He said the debris was being studied to confirm whether it was part of the Boeing 777-200ER jetliner which disappeared from the radar two years ago before further action could be taken.
“We found another piece, we have to determine whether it is (part of) a Boeing 777 wreckage first. If it is Boeing 777, we have to consider sending it to Australia for further identification. There was strong possibility, two other pieces of debris earlier sent to Australia could have been from the vanished aircraft,” he told reporters after launching a ‘Staying Strong With MCA’ carnival at Wisma MCA here today.
He said there were another piece of debris will be sent to Australia this week. So far, six pieces of aircraft debris have been found, believed to be that of MH370 which went missing on March 8, 2014 while en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, carrying 239 passengers and crew. The flight path was believed to have ended in the southern Indian Ocean with search efforts covering an area of 120,000 square kilometres expected to end by June this year.