BALIK PULAU, April 9 – The Health Ministry will black-list any company or food and drink caterer found guilty of causing food poisoning. Its deputy minister Datuk Seri Dr Hilmi Yahaya said the directive was effective immediately after finding the rise in food poisoning cases was increasingly worrying. He said the problem of food poisoning occurs when the company management or caterers concerned fail to comply with the Food Act 1983 and the stipulated food handling regulation in the same act.
“After the latest several cases, the Health Ministry will take stringent action by black-listing any quarter found to have caused food poisoning and they will not be allowed to operate immediately,” he told the reporters after opening a Bumiputra Education Tour programme at the Balik Pulau Mara Junior Science College here, Saturday.
Recently, newspapers reported several food poisoning cases and the latest saw 43 students and a teacher at Sekolah Menengah Sains Tapah, Perak who had food poisoning after they were believed to have eaten ‘roti jala’ and chicken curry at the school dining hall on April 3. Meanwhile, in another development, Dr Hilmi said the ministry was working hard to curb the spread of tuberculosis (TB) which was worrying because 24,220 news cases were reported last year.
He said TB was one of the major infectious diseases in Malaysia and the ministry would always endeavour to strengthen the programme to control, prevent and treat TB. He said the main aim of the National TB Control Programme is to detect TB cases early and treat them until they are cured. He added that 1,679 people died of TB in 2015.