Only 22 Per Cent EPF Contributors Have Sufficient Savings For Retirement

Pocket News
May 15, 2016
42 Views

PETALING JAYA, May 15 – Only 22 per cent of the 6.7 million Employees Provident Fund (EPF) active contributors aged 54 years have sufficient savings of RM196,800 or more to sustain themselves during retirement. EPF Head of Strategy Management Department Balqais Yusoff said the other 78 per cent of the contributors, unfortunately, did not have the basic amount for their retirement years.

Stating that the retirement reality today was quite sad from EPF stand point, she said of the total EPF active contributors, 65 per cent had less than RM50,000 in their savings. She said based on their definition of basic savings where retirees will need at least RM820 a month in their retirement years, those who have RM50,000 in EPF can go only for five years before their savings run out.

“That is if they live at RM820 a month. And we know that RM820 is not enough, that amount is probably sufficient for grocery shopping only and that’s the reality today. The low salary structure in the country was a major contributor to the situation, whereby 89 per cent of the working population earn less than RM5,000 which translate into a lower saving rate for the EPF,” she said.

“In term of contribution rates in mandatory saving, Malaysia is the world’s fifth highest, but the salary structure does not translate into a high saving number. So, we need to constantly review the wage structure and the minimum wage also need to be aligned with the rising cost of living,” she said.

0
like
0
love
0
haha
0
wow
0
sad
0
angry

You may be interested

GE14: PKR Unveils Full Candidates List
52 shares191 views
52 shares191 views

GE14: PKR Unveils Full Candidates List

Rachel Yeap - April 24, 2018

PETALING JAYA, Apr 24 - PKR has officially unveiled full candidates list to be fielded in the 14th general election (GE14). The list, signed by PKR…

Perak BN To Field 39 New Faces Contesting For State, Parliamentary Seats
22 views
22 views

Perak BN To Field 39 New Faces Contesting For State, Parliamentary Seats

Pocket News - April 24, 2018

IPOH, Apr 24 - The Perak Barisan Nasional (BN) has nominated 32 new faces to contest for 59 state seats and…

BN In Five States Announce GE14 Candidates
1 shares30 views
1 shares30 views

BN In Five States Announce GE14 Candidates

Pocket News - April 24, 2018

KUALA LUMPUR, Apr 24 - Spirited cheering and clapping accompanied the announcements of Barisan Nasional candidates for the 14th General Election…

error: Content Is Protected !