IPOH, May 31 – Cameron Highlands is still safe to visit and for family recreational activities more so this school holidays, said Cameron Highlands police chief DSP Zainalabidin Othman. He said the collapse of a small bridge in the Orang Asli settlement of Pos Terisu in the highlands on Sunday did not pose a safety risk to the public at large as had been made out to be on social media.
“I wish to advise against manipulating the facts and hurl accusations that Cameron Highlands is no longer safe to visit when the truth is otherwise. The National Security Council, Drainage and Irrigation Department, Immigration Department and other agencies had checked for themselves the site where the small bridge collapsed,” he said in a statement Tuesday.
Meanwhile, he also added that the bridge is being rebuilt and is expected to up very soon. The collapse of the 12.2-metre long bridge left some 853 residents in Pos Terisu stranded. Located at Batu 49, Kuala Terla, the bridge gave way after an unusually heavy downpour from 2am to 3am on Sunday.
The locals built a makeshift bridge to allow temporary access. Zainalabidin also said police and immigration officers detained six illegal immigrants, three Bangladeshis, two Myanmars and Indian national, when they were making checks at the location (bridge collapse site).