KUALA LUMPUR, Jun 7 –Tabung Haji (TH) hopes to receive an additional 10,000 haj pilgrims for this year’s quota compared to only 5,000 extra places last year. Its chairman Datuk Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim said TH would seek the assistance of the Prime Minister’s Office to send an application to the King of Saudi Arabia.
“Normally a last minute additional quota will be allocated as a sign of good relationship between the two countries. Last year even though Iran was not sanctioned, we received an additional 5,000 places…this year, maybe we can get more since Iran have been sanctioned,” he said at the 59th National level Quran Recital Assembly prize presentation.
Wan Ainuddin Hilmi Abdullah, the winner in the men’s category and Nor Azrah Ayub who emerged victorious in the women’s category, received a Proton Exora car each from TH. Azeez also reminded TH depositors to constantly update their passbook and personal information to facilitate receipt of the letter of offer for haj pilgrimage.
On the compensation payment to families of victims involved in the crane collapse tragedy at the Grand Mosque in September last year, Azeez said the Saudi Arabian government was currently working on it. He said TH has been keeping in touch with the government of Saudi Arabia and they cannot put pressure on them. He also said that they have to be patient.
The Saudi Arabian government had announced compensation of Saudi Riyal (SR) 1 million (RM1.3 million) to each victim’s family and SR500,000 (RM650,000) for each of the injured pilgrims. The tragedy that occurred at the Grand Mosque on Sept 11, last year claimed the lives of over 100 pilgrims, including seven Malaysians while 10 Malaysians were among those injured. –Bernama