SUNGAI BESAR, Jun 11 – The aircraft debris found on Kangaroo Island, southern Australia and Madagascar, Africa have not been confirmed to be part of Boeing 777 or from MH370. Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai (pix) today said the government has, however, contacted the countries concerned to analyse three new parts found recently.
He said the government would only acquire the debris from the two countries if the analysis by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) proved they belonged to MH370. He said several pieces of wreckage suspected to be from MH370 were earlier found in various countries but still have yet to be verified as belonging to the ill-fated aircraft.
“There is a big possibility the debris found in South Africa and Mozambique were from MH370 because so far only one Boeing 777 or MH370 was reported missing in the Indian Ocean,” he said when asked to comment on international news agencies’ reports on the findings.
Meanwhile, Liow said the search and investigation into the cause of the Eurocopter AS350 helicopter crash in Batang Lupar, Sebuyau, Sarawak on May 5 are still in progress. He said the wreckage of the helicopter was feared missing after being swept away by strong currents during the search period until today.
However, he said, the search efforts would be stepped up from time to time using the latest equipments including sonar detectors by the agencies involved. He said the strong current is hampering the search for the missing aircraft but he have ordered the DCA (Department of Civil Aviation) and other agencies to step up efforts to find the helicopter.
Liow has also told the department to draw up a detailed plan on the search operation for the wreckage until it is found. He said only after the wreckage was found, could the main cause of the helicopter crash which killed five people including Plantation Industries and Commodities Deputy Minister Tan Sri Noriah Kasnon, be determined. — Bernama