KUALA LUMPUR, Jun 29 – Malaysia today condemned “in the strongest terms” the terrorist attack on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport yesterday that resulted in 36 dead and close to 150 injured. Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak, expressing shock at the news of the attack, extended his “deepest condolences” to the people of Turkey, especially to the families and victims of “this senseless attack on innocent lives”.
“Malaysia stands firm and ready to unite with all countries in the fight against the scourge of terrorism. I strongly urge Muslim nations to unite and increase cooperation, especially in condemning and combating the acts of terror by those who blaspheme the name of Islam,” he said in a post on his Facebook account, @najibrazak.
Wire agencies reported quoting Turkey’s officials as saying that three suicide bombers opened fire before blowing themselves up in the main international airport in Istanbul. Najib said the terrorist attack served as yet another reminder to the need for heightened intelligence cooperation in the war on terror.
He also said that the message of Islam as a religion of peace, justice and inclusivity needed to be spread far and wide. The Prime Minister said that so far there had been no reports of any Malaysian casualties but added that the Foreign Ministry would continue to monitor the situation closely.
Please contact the Embassy of Malaysia in Ankara +(90)312-4463547 or +(90)312-4463548 for further enquiries, he said. Meanwhile, the Malaysian Students Association in Turkey, in a Facebook post, confirmed that, as of now, no Malaysian students had been reported affected by the tragedy. MASAT reminded all students to be careful and alert, especially those who would be returning home soon. — Bernama