PM Wants Individuals Who Were Named In DoJ Report To Take Responsibility To Clear Their Names
PUTRAJAYA, Jul 25 – Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak has called for those whose names were mentioned by the US Department of Justice (DoJ) in the recent 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) saga to take the responsibility in clearing their names. He said this following lawsuits filed by the DoJ to seize assets linked to state-owned 1MDB.
“We look into the report by the DoJ seriously, and we want those who were named to take the responsibility to clear their names. We hope that sooner or later the truth will be made known. Do not let ourselves be carried away in this matter. Let this process run according to proper justice process. The government will provide its full cooperation in this matter,” he said in his speech at the handover of offer letter and haj special programme at Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin here today.
The DoJ in a press conference last week announced that the filing of two civil suits to seize the properties worth US$1 billion (RM4.1 billion) linked to 1MDB, which includes penthouses, a private jet and proceeds from a Hollywood movie The Wolf of Wall Street.
Among names mentioned in the law suit made by the DoJ were Najib’s stepson Riza Aziz and businessman Low Taek Jho or Jho Low. Najib also voiced out his confidence that 1MDB would emerge even stronger, following efforts currently being undertaken by the state investment arm’s management.
“Insyaallah (God willing), I am confident and believe that in the near time the position of 1MDB would become even stronger and robust. As it gets stronger, more social programmes would be conducted in the near future, such as the haj pilgrimage programme (today),” he said.
Najib also voiced his disappointment on the negative criticism made towards 1MDB, despite many social programmes conducted by the state firm that had benefitted the rakyat. He added that 1MDB had assisted various groups, including fishermen and women, and spent millions of ringgit in its social programmes.
In the event, a total of 1,100 individuals received their offer letter to perform the haj, which was sponsored by the 1MDB Foundation. Najib said the programme, which was initiated in 2011, had so far managed to send 4,611 individuals to perform their pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia.
You may be interested
Penang BN Admitted The Anti-Guan Eng Posters Was Indeed TheirsRachel Yeap - March 20, 2018
GEORGE TOWN, Mar 20 - Penang Barisan Nasional (BN) chairman Teng Chang Yeow today publicly admitted that some of 500 to…
Mah: Gerakan Finalising Seat Swap With MCAPocket News - March 20, 2018
PUTRAJAYA, Mar 20 - Gerakan is finalising the negotiation to swap five parliamentary and state seats with component party MCA, ahead…