PUTRAJAYA, Sept 7 – The much anticipated Bersih 5 rally will be held in November, said Bersih 2.0 chairman Maria Chin Abdullah. Speaking to reporters at the Palace of Justice, today, Maria however declined to share the date and venue for the event. She said they are having a press conference on Sept 14 (to discuss further details).
The latest update follows an announcement last month by Maria that Bersih 5 will be held, hinting that two weekends in November were possible dates for the rally. During an earlier press conference, she had said that the rally was mainly to pressure for greater accountability and actions to be taken against Malaysian Official 1 (MO1) following the lawsuit by the US Department of Justice (DoJ) against state investment arm 1Malaysia Development Berhad in July.
She expressed her believe that protesting was no longer an option, but a necessity, as the rakyat must make a strong stand against what she deemed as a “grand corruption and betrayal of trust”. Maria also said that a series of smaller rallies and protests would take place building up to the main one, adding that Bersih 2.0’s main priority at the moment was to create awareness and get as many Malaysians as possible to understand the 1MDB saga and why Bersih 5 was necessary.
They hope to get more than 500,000 to participate in the rally. In response, Sungai Besar Umno division chief Datuk Jamal Yunos who leads the “Red Shirts” movement has threatened to hold a counter-rally held at the same time to protest the upcoming Bersih rally.