GEORGE TOWN, Oct 22 – Barisan Nasional (BN) will tabling a motion in the forthcoming state assembly to halt all hillslope development projects in Penang until an inquiry is completed.
The motion was submitted just before a landslide struck a construction site at Lengkok Lembah Permai, Tanjung Bungah here, which has so far killed seven foreign workers on Saturday.
Pulau Betong assemblyman Datuk Dr Muhammad Farid Saad said Barisan had submitted the motion to the State Speaker’s office under Rule 31 last week and hoped it would be accepted.
“Developers should be patient for two to three months, stop their work until the full inquiry report is produced,” he said when visiting the site of the landslide in Tanjung Bungah on Sunday (Oct 22).
He urged assemblymen from DAP, PKR and PAS not to object to the motion. Present were state opposition leader Datuk Jahara Hamid, state BN Youth chief H’ng Chee Wey and representatives from state Gerakan, MCA and MIC.
Farid said such a motion is nothing new, as it was previously brought before by DAP lawmaker Teh Yee Cheu, but ignored but state authorities. He also asked the Penang government to stop playing the blame game each time things go wrong in the state.
Meanwhile, Jahara also asked the state government to stop ‘glorifying’ itself by claiming that Penang is green, when major clearing works on hillslopes are going on. The last session of the state legislative assembly for this year will convene on Nov 2. — PN