Clan Council: No Annual Chinese Cultural And Festival New Year Celebrations Next Year

57

Categories:

GEORGE TOWN, Dec 17 – There will no plans to hold the annual Chinese Cultural and Festival New Year celebrations by the Penang Chinese Clan Council next year. Its chairman Anthony Chang said the decision to put on hold the annual event was due to the relationship between the Penang Chinese Clan Council and the DAP-led state government has reached a point of no return.

The event has been an annual feature for the Chinese community for the last seven years, but since last year, the relationship between the council and the state has been frosty when they tried to get back RM74,000 the state owed them and to claim back the 50, Love Lane premises.

PCCC Youth Committee chief Loh Boon Huan said on Nov 22, the council had given the state government seven days to respond if they wanted to work together to organise the celebration. “But there has been no reply. So, with a heavy heart, we have decided to cancel the event for next year,” he said, adding that preparations were already 50% done.

According to earlier reports, one of the past organisers had reportedly offered to mediate for both sides so that the event could proceed, except the dates must be changed from Feb 18 to Feb 25, next year.  The celebration has been held in Penang annually since 1999. — PN

0
like
0
love
0
haha
0
wow
0
sad
0
angry
  • Rescue On-Going https://t.co/pBxe16Tpvo Oct 20, 2018
  • A landslide occurred in Bukit Kukus in Paya Terubong this evening. 1 Survived, 2 Death, 12 Missing in the incident. (PN Images/JohnShen Lee) Oct 19, 2018
  • A landslide occurred in Bukit Kukus in Paya Terubong here today. According to state exco member Phee Boon Poh, thre… https://t.co/PSJfsy8MEe Oct 19, 2018

error: Content Is Protected !