Officials: Hot Air Balloon Carrying Tourists In Egypt Crashes

Pocket News
January 30, 2018
1 Shares 67 Views

CAIRO, Jan 5 – A South African tourist was killed and 12 other people were injured when a hot air balloon crashed near Egypt’s ancient city of Luxor on Friday, a health ministry official said. Sharif Wadie, the assistant health minister in charge of emergency services, told AFP there were no other casualties but did not elaborate on the extent of the passengers’ injuries.

Their nationalities were not immediately clear. Tourists often take early morning hot air balloon rides over the city and the ancient Egyptian temples and relics in neighbouring areas. One of the main attractions is the Karnak temple, which dates back thousands of years.

The hot air balloons also offer views of the Valley of the Kings, where pharaonic nobility were buried. Hot air balloon companies in Luxor offer the tours usually starting at sunrise. The government had previously suspended the rides after two crashes in four years. In 2009, 13 tourists were injured when their hot air balloon struck a communications mast in Luxor and crashed. In 2013, a hot air balloon caught fire in mid-flight over Luxor, killing 19 tourists.

A fact-finding committee later found that the accident was probably caused by a gas leak near the burner, sparking a blaze that spread throughout the balloon. The tourists, from Britain, France, Hong Kong, Hungary and Japan, died when the balloon plummeted to the ground after catching fire. The pilot and one tourist survived by jumping from the balloon, officials said at the time.

Friday’s accident comes as the government tries to woo back tourists following years of unrest that drove them away. A jihadist insurgency led by the Islamic State group has targeted tourists, including bombing a Russian airliner carrying holidaymakers from an Egyptian resort in 2015 that killed all 224 people on board. — AFP

0
like
0
love
0
haha
0
wow
0
sad
0
angry

You may be interested

BN In Five States Announce GE14 Candidates
1 shares23 views
1 shares23 views

BN In Five States Announce GE14 Candidates

Pocket News - April 24, 2018

KUALA LUMPUR, Apr 24 - Spirited cheering and clapping accompanied the announcements of Barisan Nasional candidates for the 14th General Election…

Anwar Withdraws Bid For Leave Over Challenge On Royal Assent
2 shares21 views
2 shares21 views

Anwar Withdraws Bid For Leave Over Challenge On Royal Assent

Pocket News - April 24, 2018

PUTRAJAYA, Apr 24 - Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim today withdrew his application to seek leave to commence a constitutional challenge to…

GE14: Full List Of Sarawak DAP Candidates
13 shares39 views
13 shares39 views

GE14: Full List Of Sarawak DAP Candidates

Pocket News - April 23, 2018

KUCHING, Apr 23 - The following is the full list of Sarawak DAP candidates for the 14th General Election announced here…

error: Content Is Protected !