Man Cleared Of Mobile Phone Theft Charges
KUALA LUMPUR, Mar 1 – The Court of Appeal today acquitted and discharged a 25-year-old youth on a charge of stealing a mobile phone in Low Yat Plaza in 2015.
A three-man panel comprising Datuk Wira Mohtarudin Baki, Datuk Yaacob Md Sam and Datuk Abdul Karim Abdul Jalil allowed Shahrul Anuar Abdul Aziz’s appeal to set aside his conviction, four months imprisonment and RM1,000 fine imposed on him by the Magistrate’s Court.
Justice Mohtarudin who chaired the panel said it was the court’s view that Shahrul Anuar’s appeal had merits as the court (Court of Appeal) found that the magistrate had committed a serious misdirection of law that is tantamount to a miscarriage of justice.
“If you have done it, you should repent, if you did not, it’s a test from God,” (Kalau awak buat taubat, kalau tak buat ini dugaan Allah), Mohtarudin told Shahrul Anuar.
Mohtarudin said the prosecution’s cross-appeal against the inadequacy of the jail sentence was also nullified since Shahrul Anuar’s appeal had been allowed.
On May 24, 2016, Shahrul Anuar was found guilty by the magistrate’s court and was sentenced to four months jail and fined RM1,000 for stealing the phone which was under the care of shopkeeper See Ming Ho at Techasia Boutique, Low Yat Plaza in Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur.
His appeal against the conviction and sentence was dismissed by the High Court on April 5, last year. Shahrul Anuar’s lawyer Datuk Shaharudin Ali told the court that his client had nothing to do with the purported racial riot incident at Low Yat Plaza, adding that the incident was created by a different person and his client was caught in between.
He argued that the magistrate was wrong in her grounds of judgment in finding that Shahrul Anuar had committed the offence as stated in the charge and ordered him to enter his defence. He said this was because the magistrate had made a conclusion that Shahrul Anuar was guilty of the offence even before he had given his defence.
Deputy public prosecutor Tengku Intan Suraya Tengku Ismail submitted that there was overwhelming evidence to secure Shahrul Anuar’s conviction, adding that there was no miscarriage of justice against him. — Bernama
You may be interested
Penang BN Admitted The Anti-Guan Eng Posters Was Indeed TheirsRachel Yeap - March 20, 2018
GEORGE TOWN, Mar 20 - Penang Barisan Nasional (BN) chairman Teng Chang Yeow today publicly admitted that some of 500 to…
Mah: Gerakan Finalising Seat Swap With MCAPocket News - March 20, 2018
PUTRAJAYA, Mar 20 - Gerakan is finalising the negotiation to swap five parliamentary and state seats with component party MCA, ahead…