KUALA LUMPUR, Mar 7 – As neither Malaysia Today nor its author Raja Petra Kamarudin have responded to the letters issued by Robert Kuok’s solicitors, the billionaire said today that he reserves the rights to take all necessary legal steps against them and anyone repeating further libellous statement against him. The Malaysian business tycoon said that Malaysia Today and its author Raja Petra have not responded to letters issued by Kuok’s solicitors in Malaysia and United Kingdom.
In a statement issued by Kuok’s office, it said although Raja Petra had removed three articles from the Malaysia Today website following a complaint to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) on Feb 28, the news portal and Raja Petra had continued to make similar baseless statements in a number of related articles which have been published on the Malaysia Today website.
The statement added that Kuok, popularly known as “Sugar King”, recorded his gratitude to fellow Malaysians who have spoken up in his support and against attempts to besmirch his reputation and undermine his loyalty to the nation.
Last month, Raja Petra had published three articles “Malaysian Insight Funder Fingered” on Feb 21, “Robert Kuok Wants Chinese Rule in Malaysia” also on Feb 21 and “Robert Kuok Last Chance at Changing the Government” on Feb 23, alleging Kuok of funding political parties to overthrow government, for which Kuok denied the allegations.
On Feb 28, a complaint was filed with the Complaints Bureau of the MCMC on behalf of Kuok in respect of the offending articles which were false news clearly in violation of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998. The bureau had acted swiftly and Malaysia Today and Raja Petra had been ordered to remove the article on March 5. “Mr Kuok is grateful for the quick and appropriate action taken by the Complaints Bureau and the Enforcement and Investigation Division of the MCMC,” the statement said. — Bernama