PUTRAJAYA, Jun 30 – The Education Ministry will implement the relocation of six National Type Chinese Schools (SJKC) approved by the previous government, said Education Minister Dr Maszlee Malik.
He said the construction of 10 more 10 SJKCs which were approved by the previous government would be studied objectively subject to the current financial situation and the issue of transparency.
“However, the construction of two schools (SJKC) where the ground-breaking process has started, will be continued,” he said in a statement yesterday on the status of the construction of the SJKC.
In the statement, Maszlee urged MCA deputy president Datuk Seri Wee Ka Siong not to politicise the issue of the construction of SJKCs and not connect the issue to MCA. “The construction of the schools is a new matter based on national interests and is an official decision of the ministry,” Maszlee said.
Wee was quoted in a news report (The Star Online) as saying: “If the Pakatan government wants to exterminate MCA, there are thousands of ways to do so. However, please spare the SJKCs from unnecessary political persecution”.
It also reported that the Barisan Nasional government had in Oct last year approved and announced the construction of 10 new SJKCs and the relocation of six SJKCs with low enrolment to areas with high demand for such schools.
Dr Wee in the report also pointed out that the approval for the 10+6 schools by then education minister Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid was based on well-founded studies on the people’s education needs which was approved by the ministry. Following that, Maszlee urged Wee to present the study so that the ministry could look at the matter in detail. — Bernama