George Town, 8 January 2020 – Visitors to Penang during the Chinese New Year festivity are surely in for a treat! A myriad of non-stop events and celebrations are lined up to usher in the year of the rat with a bang. From awe-inspiring hot air balloons to colourful display of lights, as well as amazing cultural traditions and performances, suited for all, young and old.
What better time to be here in Penang with your loved ones at the start of “Experience Penang 2020, The Diversity of Asia”. Held in conjunction with Visit Malaysia Year 2020, the campaign aims to highlight all of Penang’s splendor to visitors locally and abroad showcasing every aspect of Penang’s amazing diversity in culture, heritage, arts, food as well as its natural surroundings of lovely sandy beaches and breathtaking hills.
All through the Chinese New Year festivity, Penang comes alive with countless events and celebrations. Here are several not to be missed, notable events that are especially supported by the Penang State Government:
- OBS Chinese New Year Run̴ 19th Jan
- Kek Lok Si Display of Lights̴ 19th Jan – 21st Feb
- Chinese New Year Open House hosted by Penang Chinese Chamber of Commerce with Finance Minister, YB Tuan Lim Guan Eng ̴ 25th Jan
- Chinese New Year Open House hosted by Penang Chief Minister, YAB Tuan Chow Kon Yeow̴ 26th Jan
- 8th Ban Ka Lan Snake Temple CNY Culture Celebration 2020 ̴ 29th Jan
- Penang Hot Air Balloon Fiesta̴ 1st & 2nd Feb
- Pai Thee Kong Celebration̴ 1st Feb
- Penang Chinese New Year Celebration (Miaohui)̴ 2nd Feb
- Penang Celebrates: Chap Goh Meh 2020̴ 8th Feb
- Bukit Tambun Chap Goh Meh Ceremony ̴ 8th Feb
These events are organised by various parties with the involvement of the Penang State Government working hand in hand to feature Penang at its best.
While in Penang during this period, visitors can also take the opportunity to include in their list of insta-worthy spots, The Path of Penang Hot Air Balloon Fiesta at Sia Boey and Butterworth Art Walk, plus the five container art installations, i.e. Penang Container Art Festival or PICAF, located at Prangin Mall – George Town, Karpal Singh Drive – Jelutong, Kampung Terang – Balik Pulau, Dataran Pemuda Merdeka – Butterworth and Aspen Vision City – Batu Kawan.