PUTRAJAYA, July 1 – The Cabinet Meeting today agreed to set up a Special Jihad Team to Tackle Inflation, to help Malaysian families face the challenges of the rising cost of living. The role of this special team is to gather all the information from the Ministry, agencies and the public to formulate strategies and coordinate actions to resolve issues related to inflation, especially controlling the increase in prices of goods more efficiently and effectively.
This special team will function as the team managing the COVID-19 pandemic, by holding meetings twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays. A press conference will be held after each meeting to provide clarification on issues raised by the Malaysian Family. The move follows the challenges of rising cost of living as a result of climate change and geopolitical uncertainties, including the Russia-Ukraine conflict, which is expected to drag on and affect the food and fuel commodity markets.
The Jihad Special Team to Tackle Inflation will be chaired by Tan Sri Annuar Musa, Minister of Communications and Multimedia, It is comprised of;
- Tengku Datuk Seri Utama Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz, Minister of Finance,
- Datuk Seri Dr. Ronald Kiandee, Minister of Agriculture and Food Industry,
- Dato ’Sri Alexander Nanta Linggi, Minister of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs,
- Dato ’Sri Mustapa Mohamed, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Economy) and;
- Tan Sri Mohd. Zuki Ali, Chief Secretary to the Government.
A special officer in each ministry will be appointed as a reference officer (focal point) to provide immediate feedback to the Special Team under the secretariat of the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNHEP).The Government is constantly working to ensure that Malaysian families are not seriously affected by rising inflation around the world.